Wednesday, October 15, 2008

A Further Inspection of Cider Tables

Several factors have already changed since my note on cider tables. It is because of these factors that I am now writing another note. So please bare (bear) with me as I go along, and perhaps this note will finally help you make an informed decision in, as some call it, the Cider Wars.
The first factor that has changed is the fact that we now know that cider tables do indeed exist. Thanks to the research of my good friend Josh, there is now no question as to the existence of cider tables. This, of course, means that Joseph’s initial argument (the denial of cider tables) is proven false. But Joseph did not let the debate fall after that. No. Now since cider tables were proven to exist, we must discuss the practicality of cider tables.
Joseph and some of those that support him have said that it is simply impractical to have both a coffee table and a cider table. My answer to this is: yes, for some people it is. I believe that if you drink mostly coffee then by all means get a coffee table. If coffee is your drink of choice then it won’t matter if you have a cup of cider at a coffee table every once in a while. But if you drink more cider than coffee, do not refrain from getting a cider table. That sort of reasoning seems completely logical to me: mostly coffee= coffee table, mostly cider= cider table. But if, for some reason, you drink quite a lot of both then I would find that as justification to get both tables. I, of course, personally don’t like drinking cider at a coffee table or vise versa, but does that mean that it is wrong? No. That is merely my opinion; I would like to drink coffee at a coffee table and cider at a cider table.
So you should now see that I don’t discriminate against coffee tables, I am not telling everyone to destroy their coffee tables and go buy cider tables. I am merely supporting those who would wish to get a cider table. Forgive me, but I believe in free country were a man has the right to get a coffee table, cider table, or both, if he so chooses. I simply feel that Joseph is trying to tell us that we should not be allowed to have cider tables. That, my friends, is a violation of our freedom. Joseph is trying to stand up and tell us what we can’t spend our money on. That should not be.
I would like to bring up one more issue that has been brought forth by several people: that there are “children in remote countries of the world who cannot even pride themselves in owning a coffee table”. First of all I agree with Mr. Chance Gibbs when he said that “if a starving person in Africa decides to eat off of a coffee table, so be it.” Indeed, Mr. Gibbs. If someone is truly that poor then a table, of any kind, should be the very least of their concerns, that is just common sense!
Also the frivolous expense of buying a cider table was brought up. Yes, perhaps it is frivolous, but once again let us not bring forth the argument of the poor into this. By even bringing up that argument, we are doing an injustice to those of a lesser means than us. I say this because I know that no one who has talked about the poor or the children in third world countries plans on doing anything to relieve them. I say that cider table discussions are not the correct place to start these debates because we already spend money on things that are far more expensive and just as frivolous. It is our materialism, our consumerism, our humanity that is causing these problems in the world. It is nothing short of hypocrisy to claim that you refuse to buy a cider table because there are other people that couldn’t afford one, when I know that we spend money on things every day that others don’t have the money to even consider buying.
Hopefully you now have a better understanding of my opinion on cider tables. I am sure that I forgot something, so if you still have questions, feel free to ask me. I pray that you will stand will me against the discrimination of certain tables, and support our right as human beings to have any table that we so choose.
God bless,
Cole

No comments: